Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Concón (Sun 4/4)

Well, the Chileans partied last night and we heard it all out the window. It was a long and fitfull night with car alarms, people laughing, and kids crying. Last night was also daylight savings time, so I guess people figured they had an extra hour to party. The Chilean government changed the date for the time change --- they delayed it several weeks because of the earthquake. I am not sure if or how that helped. 

Arn went for a run. I decided to wait for the fitness center in our next hotel.  This would turn out to be a bad decision for both of us. 

Arn encountered a dog on his run. This dog followed him. Then, this dog met up with another dog. Arn turned to make sure he was not about to become dog meat. This was the moment his upper back and shoulder got wrenched. It was and is wrenched badly. He returned from his run in agony. I tried to massage it, but he had a knot over six inches long and one inch wide. That baby smacks of a keeper. He took a shower while I watched more bad television. I would have gone for a walk, but my left foot (yes, the one that required a cortisone injection) is giving me problems. While denial would be better, I am fearful of where this is headed. So, I held out for a fitness center with a bike. 

We took a taxi about 13 miles north to Concon. Our next hotel is brand new and on the water. We arrived around noon, check in is not until three, and today is Easter. So, our room was not ready. We checked out the hotel. I am screwed on my desire for a nice fitness center. They are building a new fitness center. There are two bikes facing the wall in a dark corner in the bowls of the hotel. I might get that desperate tomorrow. 

We walked into town looking for lunch and to check things out. We have been duped. While on-line we read good things about Concón, the reality is pretty disappointing. There is not a lot here other than a beautiful stretch of coastline, surfers, and an oil refinery.  We did manage to find the one good restaurant in town.  We both enjoyed fantastic pasta for lunch --- something stuffed with cheese and artichokes. Arn had a putanesca sauce that I could smell the anchovies in from across the table. I went with the tomato sauce (no surprise there).  The restaurant is better known for their dry-aged beef. The waiter explained that they are the only restaurant in Chile to offer dry-aged beef. They have a few locations --- one in Concón and the others in Santiago. So, we booked a dinner reservation for tomorrow night. 

After lunch, we were able to check into our room. It is a stunning view and perhaps the best of the trip. We are overlooking the ocean. It is a rocky coastline with crashing waves. It reminds both of us of Carmel. Our windows are close enough to the water that we could literally spit into the sea. With the windows open, it is quite spectacular in sight, sound and smell. Perched on the rocks, we can see several types of birds including black cormorants and pelicans the size of a tricycle. I am not pulling your leg --- their bills are at least a foot long and they stand as tall as my mid-thigh. While we saw lots of seals along the drive, I am glad we are not listening to them bark or smelling them. So far, I have not spotted them on the rocks in front of us.  We had all the barking and putrid smells in Valpo that one needs for any trip. 

The internet was out all day. So, I have watched a total of three movies --- 2 were Hugh Grant films. Clearly, it was not a highlight. Now, Mark Walberg or Christian Bale movies would be a different thing all together. 

Given the Easter holiday and restaurant closures, we ate in the hotel. It was much better than expected and actually quite good. Arn had Mahi Mahi and I had a smoke salmon salad. Given that Arn had no relief from wrenched back and shoulder, we were ready for bed with the hope of recovery through sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment