Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Concón (Mon 4/5)

We woke up to coastal fog, a still wrenched back and shoulder for Arn, and no internet. So, Arn will not be going for a run today. I am continuing to nurse my foot. We both agree --- I have become the herion addict that has not had a "fix" in quite a while. In other words, I am experiencing a serious withdrawl effect from the lack of endorphins. Given my foot issues, going for a run is not an option. Walking is not aerobic enough to produce the same "high".  I am really missing a bike. I can't remember the last time I was off a bike this long. It certainly wasn't went I had a hysterectomy --- I was cycling on a trainer exactly two weeks after surgery.  Arn can't remember the last time he didn't paddle a kayak for this long (probably before we started paddling).  While I have been out of a kayak for longer than Arn, I don't miss it like he does. And, he isn't craving a bike ride like I am.  He had been running.  

After breakfast, the Internet returned. This is a very good thing as there is not much to do. Our Plan B is proving not to be such a good Plan B. We are thinking we should paid the fee and come home early. Or, we should have gone to Uraguay to check out the beaches.  In a perfect world, the earthquake would not have happened and we would be at my favorite inn --mountain biking, running, swimming, eating and drinking. Oh well. 

Our thoughts have defintely turned toward home and all that we are missing...time with friends, our bed, the hot tub, bikes, kayaks, etc. We are both feeling that we want to park ourselves in Seattle and never leave. Arn calculated that out of the last 9 months, we have only been home for 3.  "Traveled out" is definitely the feeling.

We enjoyed a walk along the coastline. It felt a lot like a foggy day in Monterey or Carmel, CA. We found a place for lunch and both enjoyed great salmon. My salmon was described as coming with various vegtables including something called "dientes de dragón".  This literally means dragon's teeth. While I asked, the waiter could not offer a different translation. They turned out to be bean sprouts.  My Spanish food vocabulary continues to grow. 

Our afternoon was spent reading, slinging some television from our DVR at home, and watching bad television locally.  For dinner, we enjoyed a great dry-aged steak. It looked like something out of the Flintstones. We ordered grilled eggplant, tomatoes, and onions. For dessert, we tried something called "Toblerone".  Yes, it was made from Toberlone chocolate, but is was something like a semifreddo, ganache, mousse, fudge thing. Tomorrow, we take out last bus ride --- back to Santiago. We are both hoping for a gym in the hotel. This girl needs an endorphin fix. 

This afternoon, I started mapping out my bike rides for the weekend. I am thinking about riding the tulip fields north of Seattle. This month is the Tulip Festival. This, of course, assumes that 1) I can get my car battery reconnected, or 2) AAA can get it reconnected and 3) once connected, it actually starts. I created so much 'drama' in the disconnecting process that I had to call AAA and place two 'phone-a-friend' calls to our friend, Bret, for technical support.  Luckily for both of us, Arn was in Ecuador and missed this whole evening of "fun".  So, this is on my todo list for Friday afternoon.     

No comments:

Post a Comment