Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Packing List

Well, I am sitting here look at three small duffel bags. They hold everything we need for the adventure (maybe "odyssey" ahead). Two of the bags were packed many, many weeks ago. The third was packed tonight with my stuff. I feel like Santa Claus. I have checked my list twice and tried to find out what was necessary versus nice. So, here it is...and in NO particular order (unless you have seen my "Packing Check List Form" and then you would know there is a very specific order):

Clothes:
1 pair cycling shorts
1 pair cycling Capri's
1 pair cycling tights
2 tank tops (orange & purple)
3 short sleeve t-shirts (red, black, white)
1 long sleeve t-shirt (grey)
2 arm warmers (black & tattoo)
shoe covers (for cycling)
4 pair socks (2 wool, 2 thin)
3 pair underwear (wow! 2 1/2 months and 3 pair of undies!)
2 sports bras
1 bra
2 pair cycling gloves
1 pair cold weather gloves
1 night gown with slip (doubles as "evening attire"...don't ask what is going to double as my bathing suit!)
1 pair pants (okay, the legs zip off to make Capri's...does this count as TWO?)
1 pair cotton shorts (my "luxury item"...I need some cotton!!!)

Outer Wear:
Rain jacket (sweet men's jacket from Cabala's)
Wind shirt
Prim aloft jacket (makes a great pillow for sleeping)
Wood hoodie (see...the hoodie is another "hat" or "helmet liner")
"Wool buff" -- how to make everything warmer including my neck, face and head
"Buff" -- how to keep the blowing dust out of face or the sun off my head (wait for the photos of this one --- I've studied the "pirate" buff)

Toiletries:
Shampoo & conditioner
Hair wax/gel/clay (hey, it takes "product" for the messy look")
Contacts (6 pair) & a case
Contact solution
Eyeglasses & sunglasses
Electric toothbrush & paste
Dental floss
Sunscreen (face, body & lips)
Lotion
Soap
Tweezers, nail clippers and nail file
Mirror
q-tips (40)
Purell
Zip lock bags --- lots as they are hard to find in South America
Diaper cream (If you need to ask, read further...)
Noxzema (for saddle sores...if you don't know the term, then don't ask)
Preparation H (if you have to ask, then don't)
Tire pump, Bike multi-tool, tire irons, patches and patch kit (I'm in charge of patching flats)
Bike lights, reflector straps, helmets and Road ID Wrist bands (I'm in charge of "safety")

Shoes:
Chacos sandals
Cycling shoes
Hiking boots (Don't start...Arn is taking two pair. His cycling shoes and his sandals. I can't do it. I'm the one who had a cortisone injection in the foot just 3 weeks ago).

General Gear:
Heart rate monitor & watch
iTouch & charger & headphones & Skype microphone
paper & pen & Sudoku puzzles
Laundry detergent and laundry lines
Credit card (1), ATM cards (2), Medical insurance, driver's license, passport, international driver's license
Disposable shower shoes (if you have to ask, well, think about where we might be)
Bug repellent wipes (6) --- hope for no bugs!
Headlamp
Plug converter
Dry bag (in case we need extra storage on bike)
Small day backpack (in case we need to escape from the bikes!)

Camping Gear:
sleeping pad
sleeping bag
silk bag liner
pack towel
folding bucket (to wash clothes)

First Aid Kit: (I'm in charge of all things 'medical')
Tape (2 kinds for strapping arches in feet)
Hydro cortisone cream; antibiotic cream; antiseptic wipes
Blister band aids
Vaseline
Duct Tape
2nd Skin
Swiss Army Knife
Matches
Mini pads/Tel fa-pads/band aids
Chemical hand/foot warmers
Drugs - antibiotics, probiotics, Advil, aleve, Tylenol PM, Imodium, gas-x, Duflucan, stuff for nausea (don't ask), serious stuff for pain (again, don't ask), stuff for the pain of a UTI (you could ask, but I don't remember the name), aspirin

Repair Kit: (Well, I am not "in charge" of repairs, but I "contribute" the following and it happens a lot more often than you might expect)
Velcro, duct tape, zip ties, shower caps, foam strips, rubber strips, cord, grommets, carabinners, super glue, eyeglass repair kit, safety pins, sewing kit, hooks, Sidi shoe straps, patch kit for all fabrics

All the other stuff:
Bike, tent, stove, food, water filter, etc, etc, etc. (Arn is in charge of this stuff)
Snacks --- I am in charge of snacks and if I reveal them here, well, then there will be no surprise for Arn who is flying from Ecuador to Atlanta as I write this post and I know he would love to have what I have packed! (A little something from home and a little something from the desert).
Maps (I think this was Arn's job, but then there are not that many choices)
Sense of Humor!!!
Ability to speak Spanish (Arn...I'm still killing/butchering/slaying the language -- at least I do it with the gusto of wanting to be understood)

In closing, I have to admit, this looks like a VERY long list. If you coule see what it sitting in my living room, it looks pretty small. While cycling, my choices are "purple, orange or red". While off the bike, my clothing choices are "black or white". Clearly, the world is more colorful from the seat of the bike.

If you are crazy enough to have read this far, then please stay in touch! I'd love an email. I think this gear is going to go from looking small to feeling heavy pretty quickly. Maybe you could be part of my sense of humor? I'm going to need one! Lastly, if it looks like I forgot something, please let me know ASAP. I have a short window to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment